Assignment 2 LASA 1 Development Throughout the Lifespan
Erikson and Freud are two of the few theorists who have developed a lifespan approach to development. Freud’s approach to development was psychosexual while Erikson’s was psychosocial. Even though Freud’s theory is better known, Erikson’s theory remains a leading and very much applied model in personality and developmental psychology today.
When considering these two stage-oriented theories, you can directly compare the majority of their stages. These are matched in the following table:
Approximate Age Freud’s Stages of Psychosexual Development Erikson’s Stages of Psychosocial development
Infancy (Birth to 1 year) Oral stage Trust versus mistrust
Early childhood (1–3 years) Anal stage Autonomy versus doubt
Preschool (3–6 years) Phallic stage Initiative versus guilt
School age (7–11 years) Latent period Industry versus inferiority
Adolescence (12–18 years) Genital stage Identity versus role confusion
Young adulthood (19–40 years) Intimacy versus isolation
Middle adulthood (40–65 years) Generativity versus stagnation
Older adulthood (65–death) Integrity versus despair
When considering Erikson’s eight stages of development, the way a person moves through each stage directly affects their success in the next stage. Their personality is being built and shaped with each stage. At each stage, there is a turning point, called a crisis by Erikson, which a person must confront.
In this assignment, you will observe or interview two different people, each at a different stage of development. For a third observation, take a look at yourself and the stage that you are in (this stage must be different from your other two observations).
• Record your three observations in a template. Include the following information:
• Current developmental stage
• Status within the stage (i.e., identity achievement or role confusion)
• Events that have lead to this status
Download a Development Template from the Doc Sharing area to record your observations.
• Summarize what you have learned about psychosocial development through these observations/interviews.
• Summarize the trends you see in your observations/interviews regarding psychosocial development.
• How does movement through Erikson’s stages influence personality development? Again, be specific.
• How do Erikson’s stages of development compare to Freud’s stages? How are they similar? How are they different?
• Between these two theories, which one do you feel best explains your own personality development? Justify your answers with specific examples.
Write a 3–4-page paper in Word format. Insert your chart at the end of your paper. Apply APA standards to citation of sources. Use the following file naming convention: LastnameFirstInitial_M3_A2.doc.
- Confidentiality & Authenticity Guaranteed
- Plagiarism Free Content Guarantee
- APPROVEDSCHOLARS Guarantee Timely Delivery of All Papers
- Quality & Reliability
- Papers Written from Scratch and to Your Instructions
- Qualified Writers Only
- APPROVEDSCHOLARS Allow Direct Contact With Your Writer
- Using APPROVEDSCHOLARS.COM Means Keeping Your Personal Information Secure
- 24/7 Customer Support