In this first Case Assignment, you will be viewing a clip from the movie “Office Space.” This video demonstrates work attitudes, factors that can shape those attitudes, and the end effect on work behavior. As you watch the clip, make some notes about examples you see that give you some clues about the different characters and:
- Job satisfaction
- Attitudes toward management
- Attitudes toward co-workers
- Organizational Commitment
- Work environment and conditions (such as physical surroundings)
View the following movie clip from the movie Office Space:
Read the following article from the Trident University Library:
Di Fabio, A., Palazzeschi, L., & Bucci, O. (2017, November 17). Gratitude in organizations: A contribution for healthy organizational contexts. Frontiers in Psychology, 8, 2025. doi:10.3389/fpsyg.2017.02025
After reading the article above and the background material, and reviewing your notes on the video, consider the following questions:
- How do you characterize the general work environment at Initech?
- What are Peter’s attitudes about working at Initech? What are the likely causes of those attitudes?
- How does he feel about his supervisors?
- Do his coworkers show similar attitudes?
- What do you predict the effect will be of these attitudes on job commitment, absenteeism, and turnover? Why?
Now, write a 3-page paper discussing the film clip and the questions above. A good way to organize your paper is to divide it into the following sections:
- Introduction that briefly describes the situation at Initech. (one paragraph)
- The environment at Initech (including supervision style and physical environment)
- The observed job attitudes of Peter and his coworkers
- The likely outcomes of those attitudes
- Conclusion that makes one recommendation for a change that Lumbergh can make to improve job satisfaction among employees at Initech.
Be sure to support your arguments with at least 2 scholarly references to the background readings’ concepts and use specific examples from the video to illustrate your main points.
Note: A URL (website address) is not a reference. A reference always contains four parts: author, publication date, article title, and the source of the article. Sometimes there is no author, but the APA manual tells you what you can put in that spot instead. The source for a high-quality peer-reviewed journal article is the journal!
Also, each section should have its own short heading, such as The Situation, The Environment, Job Attitudes, Outcomes, and Recommendations. The first paragraph of your paper is an introduction, but the heading of the paper is the title of the assignment, not the word “Introduction.” According to APA formatting guidelines, the first paragraph of a paper is always an introduction, so the paper’s title is the heading.
Upload your assignment to the Case 1 Dropbox. Be sure to review your TurnItIn Originality report. If the score is over 20%, you may not be writing in your own words and you will need to contact your professor and arrange to revise and resubmit your assignment.
- Confidentiality & Authenticity Guaranteed
- Plagiarism Free Content Guarantee
- APPROVEDSCHOLARS Guarantee Timely Delivery of All Papers
- Quality & Reliability
- Papers Written from Scratch and to Your Instructions
- Qualified Writers Only
- APPROVEDSCHOLARS Allow Direct Contact With Your Writer
- Using APPROVEDSCHOLARS.COM Means Keeping Your Personal Information Secure
- 24/7 Customer Support